Claremont man died of smoke inhalationBy MEGHAN PIERCE
Union Leader Correspondent
August 05. 2014 9:11PM
CLAREMONT — The Warren Street man who died in a house fire Sunday died of smoke inhalation, police and fire officials said Tuesday.
Louis P. Russel, 68, of 11 Warren St., died Sunday in his home. An autopsy was conducted Monday afternoon by the state Medical Examiner’s Office.
“The cause of death is listed as smoke inhalation, and the manner of death is listed as accidental,” according to a press release from New Hampshire State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan, Claremont Fire Chief Rick Bergeron and Claremont Police Chief Alex Scott on Tuesday.
Firefighters responded to the fire at 9:24 p.m. on Sunday. Heavy smoke was pouring from the residence when firefighters arrived and broke a first-floor window to get inside.They immediately found Russel on the floor and took him to a waiting ambulance. He was taken to Valley Regional Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Preliminary indications are that the fire started in a first floor bedroom and was caused by careless use and/or disposal of smoking materials, officials said.
No working smoke detectors were found in the home, Degnan said.