Pinkerton hosts teaching workshops on math Common Core Standards
Teachers from across the Granite State attend the "Teaching to the Common Core Standards Workshop" Wednesday at Pinkerton Academy. (Hunter McGee)
High school and middle school teachers throughout the Granite State gathered for the “Teaching to the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice” Institute workshop. The two-day series began Tuesday, said Chip Underhill, Pinkerton’s executive director of public relations and external affairs.
Chris Harper, dean of academic affairs for Pinkerton, served as host and coordinator. In today’s high-tech society, math is being used on a daily basis, Harper said. And so, teachers are being called on to help students learn to apply mathematical concepts to everyday problems.
And it’s a lot to ask of teachers to suddenly change to teaching students to delve into problems and then apply the solutions. That’s why workshops like the ones held at Pinkerton are being offered to teachers in the Granite State, Harper said.
Today, teachers need to strive to help students find where they can apply the concepts of geometry, or Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 to everyday problems, Harper said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Timberlane schools want to be better communicators - 0
- PSU professor who was inspired by nurses honored for her own work - 0
- Keene State College holds student forum on pumpkin riot - 2
- Monitoring social media - 2
- Siege Day launched at Pinkerton; students gain hands-on experience with homemade catapults - 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 0
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 2
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
- NHIAA: Souhegan advances in OT - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
Hassan, Havenstein spar over education
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood