Months later, cause of Canterbury logger's death remains a mystery
Six months after the unexplained death of Canterbury logger Mark Kelso, homicide prosecutors say they’re still waiting to say what killed him while in the woods on a quiet Sunday morning.
Kelso’s body was found Feb. 23 off Borough Road in Canterbury. News reports at the time said he died of multiple injuries, and authorities said more details would possibly be released in a week or so.
But nothing officially has been said about the death of Kelso since then. The family of the long-time area logger, who was 53, said they don’t know what happened to him.
“We’re just waiting. We know nothing, we’ve heard nothing. No one’s contacted us,” said Linda Kelso, the mother of Mark Kelso.
Jay McCormack, a homicide prosecutor with the Attorney General’s Office, said his office is still involved with the investigation into Kelso’s death.
He said the office is waiting for the final autopsy report to determine how Kelso died and what caused the death.
“I do not know when we will receive it, but hope it will be soon,” McCormack wrote in an email to the New Hampshire Union Leader. He was careful not to call the death a homicide.
Earlier this week, the Concord Monitor reported that Kelso had died from a gunshot wound to the head. In Feburary, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office told the family they were investigating the death as a homicide; they prepared the family for news reports, the family told the newspaper.
But then nothing happened.
McCormack said a variety of reasons exist for the length of the investigation, including the final autopsy report and “(we) had to complete certain aspects of the investigation that took more time.”
Linda Kelso said she remains patient.
“Whatever it takes,” she said, “just get it right.”