All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Former Nashua court officer waives hearing on sexual assault charges

Union Leader Correspondent

July 29. 2014 8:14PM

MERRIMACK — A Nashua court officer who was fired from his position after being arrested on alleged sexual assault charges was back in court Tuesday — this time as a defendant facing felony charges.

David S. Morse, 72, of 18 Highland Green, waived his probable cause hearing at the 9th Circuit Court-District Division-Merrimack.

With his ankles and wrists shackled, the elderly man used earphones to help him hear the brief court proceeding.

Prosecutors asked that Morse’s bail remain at $100,000 cash or surety. He is still being held at the Valley Street Jail in Manchester.

Police allege that Morse began assaulting a young girl in Merrimack in 2010 on her sixth birthday, according to court documents. The alleged sexual contact continued throughout July 1 of this year.

Police arrested Morse last week, charging him with three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault against the juvenile, now 9.

Morse, a court officer at the Hillsborough County Superior Court South in Nashua for 12 years, is no longer employed in his position.

Hillsborough County Sheriff Jim Hardy said earlier that Morse was placed on leave during the criminal investigation, and was subsequently terminated the day after his arrest last week.

A police affidavit has been sealed at the courthouse, although the criminal complaints against Morse have been made public. The charges allege that Morse allegedly sexually assaulted the girl on five separate occasions at his residence, touching her inappropriately and engaging in various sexual acts.

Local authorities are continuing to investigate the case, trying to determine if potentially more charges may be warranted, or whether there may be additional victims, said Lt. Denise Roy of the Merrimack Police Department.

If released on bail, Morse has been ordered to have no contact with the victim or her immediate family, and may not be alone with anyone under the age of 18.

Since he waived the probable cause hearing, Morse will now await possible indictments from a Hillsborough County Superior Court grand jury.

Prior to his employment at the Nashua court, Morse worked for Boston and Maine Railroad in Billerica, Mass., for about 40 years, court documents state.

Courts Crime Merrimack Nashua

More Headlines

Police use stun gun on man who resisted arrest