Home » News » Public Safety
Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash
According to police, Kyle Witty, 43, of Cornish ran a red light, causing the July 16 accident on Route 101A at the intersection with Continental Boulevard that claimed the life of Elizabeth “Liz” McQuinn, 60, of Nashua.
Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance said Friday that her office decided to charge Witty with manslaughter as opposed to negligent homicide, which carries a lesser penalty. The difference, she explained, is that authorities allege that Witty acted recklessly when he ran the red light, that he was aware of the risk and danger but opted to ignore it.
A victim’s advocate has been assigned to work with the McQuinn family and keep relatives informed of the upcoming court proceedings and criminal process.
“Liz was full of life,” her family wrote in her obituary. “She had a huge personality, and you felt you knew her within minutes of meeting her whether you wanted to or not. She was a tremendously caring mother and friend to all.”
If convicted of manslaughter, Witty could face 15 to 30 years in prison and lose his license indefinitely, according to authorities.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem