Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past
Hassan’s catch-phrase is “innovation,” which Hemingway finds laughable. “Her idea of economic development is to get business people around a table like this and have a meeting,” he said. The state needs ideas and leadership, not slogans and make-work meetings, says the 32-year-old.
Passing such an agenda, though, would be anything but simple.
First, one has to get elected. Hemingway, the first Republican to file for governor this year, has seen the entire state GOP establishment line up behind former BAE Systems CEO Walt Havenstein. The former chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus of New Hampshire, Hemingway has always been anti-establishment, which has closed a lot of doors within the party. Then there are the questions, which helped derail his 2013 campaign for state GOP chairman, about his consulting practices. They might explain why he has few high-profile endorsements.
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Drew Cline: A few takeaways from Tuesday's Republican primaries - 4
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 3
- Drew Cline: NH's campaign finance laws are a nonsensical mess - 2
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 5
- Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past - 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 10
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 14
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance