Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past
Hassan’s catch-phrase is “innovation,” which Hemingway finds laughable. “Her idea of economic development is to get business people around a table like this and have a meeting,” he said. The state needs ideas and leadership, not slogans and make-work meetings, says the 32-year-old.
Passing such an agenda, though, would be anything but simple.
First, one has to get elected. Hemingway, the first Republican to file for governor this year, has seen the entire state GOP establishment line up behind former BAE Systems CEO Walt Havenstein. The former chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus of New Hampshire, Hemingway has always been anti-establishment, which has closed a lot of doors within the party. Then there are the questions, which helped derail his 2013 campaign for state GOP chairman, about his consulting practices. They might explain why he has few high-profile endorsements.
READER COMMENTS: 16
- Drew Cline: A kinder, gentler Bill O'Brien emerges to lead the House - 3
- Drew Cline: The GOP left its big NH star to fend for herself - 14
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 10
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 26
- Drew Cline: In New Hampshire, 'hope and change' has become 'duck and run' - 26
- Drew Cline: Bill Gardner knows that voter fraud happens in New Hampshire. - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 0
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 0
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly