Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby
Afraid of Hobby Lobby? Nonsense. Democratic politicians are lying about the court’s ruling, scaremongering and trying to whip up a war over reproductive rights before the fall election. Here are the lies they’re telling and the truth you need to know.
In truth, the court did nothing like that. Every birth control method that was legal before the ruling is still legal.
Not to worry. Hobby Lobby will not lead to Shariah law.
U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren said she was “stunned that we live in a world where the Supreme Court of the United States of America would even consider putting the interests of big corporations before the fundamental rights of American women.”
It applies only to closely- held companies where owners would share a religious conviction.
The “big corporations” rhetoric is a diversion. In 2008, Sens. Murray and Hillary Clinton offered legislation to reduce conscience protections for doctors, pharmacists and other health care workers who refuse to prescribe morning after pills and other birth control products based on religious beliefs. U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, an ob/gyn, warned that doctors would resist. The legislation stalled, but on Jan. 2, the Obama administration accomplished the same thing by regulation.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Drew Cline: NH's campaign finance laws are a nonsensical mess - 2
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 5
- Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past - 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 10
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 18
- Drew Cline: Dan Innis is no political lightweight - 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua