Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry
Moments into his Wednesday morning shift, Fire Lt. Gary Dion received a call from the town’s highway department, informing him that a group of ducklings appeared to be trapped inside a storm drain in the Nevins Active Adult Community.
Upon their arrival, the crew discovered five of the baby birds at the bottom of an eight-foot storm water catch basin.
With the mother duck pacing nervously nearby, Dion thought fast as he made his way to the nearby Aquatic Adventures Scuba Shop.
Returning with a long-handled pool net, Dion and fellow firefighters removed the drain grate and used the net to gently lift each of the five ducklings to safety.
Released from the net, the lucky ducklings flocked to their mother’s side.
Cardwell said the animals appeared no worse for the wear, despite their experience.
Dion said the department receives animal and wildlife-related calls on a relatively regular basis and firefighters try to help them whenever they can.
“As things go, people know they can call the fire department when things like this happen, because we’ll know what to do.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 26
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 35
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings