Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry
Moments into his Wednesday morning shift, Fire Lt. Gary Dion received a call from the town’s highway department, informing him that a group of ducklings appeared to be trapped inside a storm drain in the Nevins Active Adult Community.
Upon their arrival, the crew discovered five of the baby birds at the bottom of an eight-foot storm water catch basin.
With the mother duck pacing nervously nearby, Dion thought fast as he made his way to the nearby Aquatic Adventures Scuba Shop.
Returning with a long-handled pool net, Dion and fellow firefighters removed the drain grate and used the net to gently lift each of the five ducklings to safety.
Released from the net, the lucky ducklings flocked to their mother’s side.
Cardwell said the animals appeared no worse for the wear, despite their experience.
Dion said the department receives animal and wildlife-related calls on a relatively regular basis and firefighters try to help them whenever they can.
“As things go, people know they can call the fire department when things like this happen, because we’ll know what to do.”
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH