Home » News » Public Safety
Fireworks injury, 3 deaths mar Fourth of July holiday across Granite State
The man was bleeding heavily from his wounds when Pelham public safety crews arrived at the Indian Valley Road home about 7:15 p.m., the Pelham Fire Department said Saturday.
The Fourth of July holiday was also marred by two drownings - one in Raymond, the other in Ossipee - and a fatal motorcycle crash in Rye.
Police said the 56-year-old man, whose name was not released, tried to swim out to his canoe, which had been blown off the shore about 11 a.m. Saturday. He began to struggle in the water. A witness swam out and brought him to shore and tried to resuscitate him.
The man was swimming across a cove about 5 p.m. when friends and relatives saw him struggling and swam out to help, according to the New Hampshire Marine Patrol.
In Rye, a motorcyclist died when his bike went off the road shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, according to police.
Matthew Dodge, 25, of 148 Norton Road, Kittery, Maine, was unconscious and not breathing when rescue crews arrived at the crash scene, in the area of 850 South Road.
Dodge was taken by ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are investigating what led to the crash.
"It's the same concern. It's no different. When we had the hearing, we said, 'What's it going to take?" Gleason said.
Mary McCluskey, manager of Phantom Fireworks of New Hampshire in Londonderry, said she stops anyone leaving the store with reloadable mortar shells to ask whether they have used them before. If not, she said, she brings them over to a table she set up specifically to instruct customers on their proper use.
The state Fire Marshal's Office is investigating Friday night's incident.
Pelham fire officials would not say whether the victim lived at the residence and would not specify the street address.(New Hampshire Sunday News reporter Shawne K. Wickham contributed to this report.)
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters