Home » News » Public Safety
Pelham fireworks explosion injures one
This is the second fireworks incident in Pelham that resulted in serious injuries in the last two years.
The man suffered a severe hand injury and heavy bleeding while reloading a mortar shell about 7:15 p.m. The shell exploded in the tube, fire officials said Saturday.
On July 2, 2012, 13 people — five of them children — were hurt at a 40 Dodge Road home when an aerial spinner went awry and ignited a stockpile of 344 unpackaged, reloadable mortar shells stored on the back deck. The incident was ruled an accident and triggered some calls for greater restrictions on fireworks displays.
The man injured Friday night went by ambulance to a local hospital. He was transferred to a Boston hospital for emergency surgery.
Fire officials would not release the victim's name, the address where the incident occurred or if the victim lived there or was visiting.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Cause of $1.4 million house fire in Plainfield remains unknown - 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 28
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance