All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Fire chief: Cigarette blamed for causing Milford house fire

Union Leader Correspondent

July 02. 2014 7:33PM

MILFORD — A fire caused extensive damage to a porch and front living room at 61 Highland Ave. on June 30, leaving the home uninhabitable.

The remainder of the house suffered heavy smoke and heat damage. It could take a few months before residents Madeline and Dennis Martin are able to return to their home, but according to Milford fire officials it can be rebuilt.

“The call came in around 4:11pm and was pretty quick knocked down in about two hours or so,” said Capt. Jason Smedick.

Madeline Martin was able to safely escape with her dogs. There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.

The cause of the one-alarm fire was careless disposal of smoking materials, Smedick said.

The Martins have sons who live in the area and fire officials believe they are staying with them.

Fires Milford

More Headlines