action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Jose Alberto Miranda

Jose Alberto Miranda

Jul 24, 2014

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Jul 16, 2014

Anthony Michael Kay

Anthony M. Kay

Jul 10, 2014

Paul Grace

Paul Grace

Jun 26, 2014

Home » News » Crime

June 24. 2014 1:39PM

Former Nashua youth coach indicted on numerous alleged sexual assaults against boy in 1980s

NASHUA — A man who coached local sports teams during the 1980s has been indicted on 36 charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault against a minor.

A Hillsborough County Superior Court grand jury handed up the indictments against W. Michael Keegan, 62, of 361 Gansevoort Road, Fort Edward, N.Y.

Keegan, who is incarcerated in the Valley Street jail in Manchester, is accused of repeatedly sexual assaulting a boy in Nashua from January 1986 to December 1988.

According to court documents, the victim was between the ages of 9 and 12 when he allegedly was assaulted by Keegan. The victim, now 37, told local authorities about the assaults in February, according to court records.

The attacks took place in a vehicle, in a bedroom and occasionally during hunting trips in the woods, according to an affidavit filed by Nashua police Officer Mike Welch.

The victim estimated that he was sexually assaulted by Keegan an average of three times per month, the affadavit states.

Police said previously that Keegan served as an assistant volunteer coach for a Little League baseball team in the city and for a recreational basketball league for pre-teens between 1983 and 1989.

He also volunteered for a local Cub Scouts group, according to authorities.

Earlier this year, Nashua police released a photo of Keegan from the 1980s, asking anyone with information about him to contact local authorities.

At the time, Lt. Francis Sullivan said these types of crimes often are crimes of opportunity, and police released the old photograph in case their are other victims who would be interested in pursuing charges.

Since Keegan moved out of New Hampshire, the statute of limitations has not yet expired, Sullivan said, adding there is still time to prosecute if other victims speak up.

This week, Sullivan said he is unaware of any additional victims in New Hampshire.

Police have learned of a second possible sexual assault victim in New York. Those crimes allegedly took place after Keegan left the Nashua area and moved south, according to court documents.

New York authorities are investigating those cases police said.

When Nashua police questioned Keegan about the alleged sexual assaults, “he initially stated it happened several times a month, then later stated no more than a dozen times,” according to an affidavit on file at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

“Mr. Keegan stated he never used force and never asked (the boy) to do anything he didn’t want to do,” says court records.

The newest indictments allege that Keegan abused the victim each month throughout the three-year time span.

khoughton@newstote.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
  • Yes
  • 83%
  • No
  • 17%
  • Total Votes: 917

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events