Cities rush to train lifeguard recruits so pools can open for summer
Lifeguard Deanna Nickerson of Candia monitors swimmers at Livingston Pool in Manchester on opening day Tuesday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Vachon suspects the lifeguard certification cost of $275 kept some people from applying this year. The city is offering to pay half the cost if the lifeguard stays the whole season. The city is paying lifeguards $13.70 an hour.
A shortage of a dozen lifeguards in Concord meant the Merrill, Kimball and Garrison pools opened Monday rather than Saturday after new recruits gained their certification, she said.
Amy Bassett, public information officer at the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said lifeguards work at about a dozen state parks. There were no delayed openings, but there remained lifeguard openings at a handful of parks, including at Hampton Beach.
City officials closed Crystal Lake beach to swimming on Tuesday, after elevated levels of E.coli bacteria were found during routine sampling, the Manchester Health Department said.
Once levels drop to acceptable, the city will reopen the beach, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Italian with a twist in Portsmouth - 0
- Salvation Army takes over for Santa in Nashua - 0
- Lurgio students learn about Africa, water scarcity through unique approach - 0
- A Chat with Elsie: Windham principal recognized for excellence - 0
- Salem Christmas Fund - 0
- Willow Street Bridge funding decision imminent - 0
- Pelham power line project could impact town - 0
- Nashua playground to feature multiple mushroom steppers and much more - 0
- Auburn road agent files lawsuit for being named in illegal dumping probe - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
NH's fishing industry staggered
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Good news, of sorts, for jobs in NH