Cities rush to train lifeguard recruits so pools can open for summer
Lifeguard Deanna Nickerson of Candia monitors swimmers at Livingston Pool in Manchester on opening day Tuesday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Vachon suspects the lifeguard certification cost of $275 kept some people from applying this year. The city is offering to pay half the cost if the lifeguard stays the whole season. The city is paying lifeguards $13.70 an hour.
A shortage of a dozen lifeguards in Concord meant the Merrill, Kimball and Garrison pools opened Monday rather than Saturday after new recruits gained their certification, she said.
Amy Bassett, public information officer at the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said lifeguards work at about a dozen state parks. There were no delayed openings, but there remained lifeguard openings at a handful of parks, including at Hampton Beach.
City officials closed Crystal Lake beach to swimming on Tuesday, after elevated levels of E.coli bacteria were found during routine sampling, the Manchester Health Department said.
Once levels drop to acceptable, the city will reopen the beach, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
- Signature Chefs Auction® Honors Manchester's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield - 0
- Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining Fall arena tour with Volbeat kicks off today, hits Lowell September 26 - 0
- Win tickets to see Kip Moore - 0
- Win tickets to see Demi Lovato - 0
- Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads - 0
- Win tickets to see Tower of Power - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua