Sanbornton firefighter answers call at own homeBy DAN SEUFERT
Union Leader Correspondent
June 22. 2014 9:16PM
SANBORNTON — Fire Capt. Ben Burlingame was on his shift at the town’s fire department Sunday when the call came in for a fire at 209 Stage Road — his home address.
“Well, there was a little pucker factor there, but you just have to go do your job, no matter whose home it is,” Burlingame said.
He was glad, he said, that he works for a department that is staffed during daytime hours, because fire crews were able to get to his home within four minutes.
“We made an incredible save,” he said. “If we got here two minutes later, the house would have burned to the ground.”
According to Fire Chief Paul Dexter Jr., firefighters were called at 1:35 p.m. to the two-story, approximately 2,500-square-foot home.
“The first arriving company had a heavy smoke condition inside the house, and there was smoke coming from the roof area around two chimneys,” Dexter said.
The fire was centered in the attic space and in one exterior wall, he said.
“Companies were able to quickly extinguish the bulk of the fire and the fire was declared under control at 2:42 p.m.,” Dexter said in a news release.
“No one was displaced by the fire and the owner Ben Burlingame is able to stay in the home,” the chief said.
No one was hurt.
“I’m thankful that we got there so quickly,” Burlingame said at his home Sunday afternoon.
After the fire, Dexter said the response was helped by the town’s decision to staff the fire department on the weekend during the day. Burlingame was one of two firefighters on staff duty on Sunday.
Sanbornton firefighters received assistance from Franklin, Tilton-Northfield, Laconia, Belmont, New Hampton and Gilmanton fire departments.