Home » Opinion » Editorials
Reams' ouster made losers of all involved
Attorney General Joseph Foster’s mistaken and misguided removal of Jim Reams, Rockingham County’s elected county attorney, has resulted in a long list of losers and not a single winner.
Rockingham County voters, who chose Reams as county attorney in eight consecutive elections, lost out big time as their duly elected official was stripped of power by the New Hampshire attorney general’s office, which failed to make a case. This action hurt not only Rockingham County voters, but undermined the security of elected officials across the Granite State.
Reams is a loser because at the end of a long, successful career, his reputation has been tarnished by charges that were never substantiated or fully refuted.
The women allegedly harassed by Reams lost because they were never given their day in court, and their accusations, which we take seriously, remained just that — unsubstantiated accusations. The women never received a ruling from the courts on whether they, in fact, had been victims of harassment.
“Rockingham County prosecutes over 2,800 felony offenders per year, and by any measuring stick available, does so very effectively,” Garza wrote. “Do we really want a system where any one of those offenders, or a disgruntled employee, or a political rival, can merely make a complaint draped in a false tapestry of legitimacy which results in the will of the People being overturned for an indefinite period of time?”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m