Veterans urged to help push Congress for private care
The Senate and House passed similar measures that are in a conference committee to settle on one bill. A provision inserted by Ayotte, a Republican and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a New Hampshire Democrat, would allow veterans in states without full-service Veterans Administration hospitals to seek care from private providers if they live more than 20 miles from the nearest VA. That would include nearly all veterans in New Hampshire, Ayotte said.
“The mayor should not be able to get any speedier access than any vet,” Gatsas said.
“It’s an option we don’t have,” he said in an interview.
He said he has visited friends at the VA Center in the Boston area and seeing people locally would be “a lot better, let alone the mileage (saved).”
“We all know that our veterans have the experience and unique skill set, including a penchant for leadership, collaboration and hard work that is an asset to any employer,” said Hassan, who announced she was in the process of joining the ladies auxiliary. (Ayotte said she is a lifetime member.)
Receiving the legion’s law enforcement officer of the year award was Manchester police Sgt. Brandon Murphy. The 10-year department veteran applied a tourniquet to the bleeding leg of fellow officer Dan Doherty, who was shot in March 2012.
Manchester police Chief Dave Mara praised Murphy, a current SWAT team leader, who also helped hunt for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects in Massachusetts last year.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads