Derry's flag collection box is back
DERRY — A flag collection box that had been stolen from the town transfer station was relocated to the site.
Pinkerton Academy Cadet Morgen Hooley, Lt. Col. Howie Steadman, JROTC adviser, and JROTC Chief Chuck Porter were on hand Wednesday afternoon to relocate the box to the transfer station.
The box, which was stolen in November, was returned to the JROTC program in April, Steadman said. But the students had to redo the project as all of the work that had done on the box had been sanded off, he said.
The box was set up temporarily near the scales at the transfer station. The final site for it will be determined later, Steadman said.
Hooley and other members of the Pinkerton Academy JROTC program refurbished the box, Steadman said.
Police said they recovered the box on Dec. 9 from the residence of Eric Lecuyer, 42, 17L Gamache Road. Lecuyer pleaded not guilty in January to a misdemeanor theft charge.
The idea for the project to install the box developed after Morgen Hooley’s father, Frank Hooley, mentioned that a number of American flags were being thrown into the trash, Steadman said. Frank Hooley had asked his son if the project wasn’t something for the JROTC to take on, Steadman said.
A spare USPS box was located in Salem, Mass., and then donated for the project, Steadman said.
The box is large, about 4 feet tall and weighs from 150 to 200 pounds, according to town officials.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.