Home » News » Public Safety
Chief's son set to join Manchester police force
Matthew Mara is among the 14 new police officers that are to be sworn in a special ceremony on July 7 at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Manchester.
Mara is currently being considered for the top cop position in Somerville, Mass. He is among four finalists for the position and is to participate in a public interview next Wednesday.
Matthew Mara recently joined the Hampton Police Department as a part-time officer.
In response to a call from a reporter seeking Matthew Mara, a dispatcher there initially said she was unfamiliar with the name. She later said “he just started” and was unavailable. “He must be brand new,” she said. “He’s part-time and doesn’t have a regular schedule just yet. He was probably on a ride along.”
The last five certified officers hired by the Manchester Police Department, who were sworn in April 7, had at least one year’s experience with other police departments; one had seven years’ experience.
Wieczorek added that he didn’t think family ties between employees posed a problem as long as the new hires were qualified. “It would be of great concern, if they were not qualified,” he said, “But if you pass all the tests — and they do take some pretty rigorous tests to graduate from the police academy — and you are physically fit and feel you can do the job ... you shouldn’t be penalized because you’re related.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads