All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

UPDATED: Gang member arraigned in Manchester shooting incident

June 19. 2014 2:48PM

MANCHESTER — Police said it was a gang “beef” that led to a bullet being fired at a door at 382 Cedar St., Monday night, sending splinters into the face of a 17-year-old who had just closed it.

The 19-year-old accused of firing that shot was arraigned Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division in connection with the shooting.

Adrien Stillwell, who gives a Dorchester, Mass., address, could enter no plea to felony charges of reckless conduct and felon in possession of a deadly weapon. A probable cause hearing was set for July 3, to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to send the case to the Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for possible indictment.

Because Stillwell was out on bail on a June 10 resisting arrest charge – scheduled for trial July 14 – when he allegedly committed a new crime, police prosecutors filed a motion to revoke Stillwell’s bail.

A hearing was set for Friday morning to determine whether he should be held without bail until the July 14 trial date.

Stillwell is described in court documents as a member of the street gang OTL — Orange to Laurel streets — while the juvenile who was fired at told police he has friends in the 180 gang.

When police responded to the Cedar Street address shortly before 10:30 Monday night, the juvenile’s mother said her son and his friends were approached by three males as they neared the address, with one of the males shouting: “Who wants to die. Who wants to die.”

Court documents show the juvenile entered the Cedar Street building and his apartment, but then went back to the front door and opened it. As he looked out, he told police, he saw the male now identified as Stillwell take a handgun from his waist, raise and point it at him and fire.

The juvenile told police he saw the flash from the barrel as he closed the door. He said he felt the bullet hit the door and fragments from the door hit him in the face, causing minor injuries.

Police said the juvenile’s mother was standing directly behind him and several of his friends were in the immediate area when the gun was fired at the building.

Police recovered a spent .22 caliber shell casing and a live .22 cartridge at the shooting scene.

The 17-year-old said he was reluctant to tell police who the shooter was because he didn’t want to be known as a “snitch.”

Although Stillwell uses a Massachusetts address now, the victim told police he had gone to Manchester High School Central with Stillwell.

Stillwell was arrested without incident shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday, when the vehicle in which he was a passenger was stopped by police in the area of Derry and Amherst streets.

Stillwell was convicted of assault by a prisoner March 27 in Hillsborough County Superior Court North. The assault occurred while Stillwell was being held in connection with a January 2013 break-in and subsequent robbery and beating of a pizza delivery man on Lake Avenue.

At that time, Stillwell used a Spruce Street address.

Courts Crime Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines