Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race
A few years ago, Goldsmith, who had a reputation among his friends for coming up with great Halloween costumes, was invited to a Halloween party in Pinardville. He did not have time to do an elaborate costume, so he threw one together: red makeup, a cape, pretty easy. He went as Satan. Then he and a friend wound up at the wrong party.
A friend took a photo of him in that costume, and he has used it as his Facebook profile pic and Twitter avatar for a long time. Last week Goldsmith, not in costume, crashed another party. He filed to run for U.S. Senate as the Libertarian candidate.
“My goal is to spread the word. It’s to educate people about long-lost principles that are not being espoused in the Democratic and Republican Party establishments.”
“They hate the Libertarians because they fear we’ll take their votes,” he said.
That leaves independents, Libertarians and Democrats. If Democrats wanted to throw a monkey wrench into the election, they could easily organize enough signatures to get Goldsmith on the ballot, which could help Jeanne Shaheen in what is expected to be a Republican year. And that would be a great New Hampshire political irony. Goldsmith cut his teeth in New Hampshire politics by antagonizing Shaheen.
If Goldsmith did get on the ballot, he might get into the candidate debates.
“The Democrats would be wise to get me on the ballot, but ironically, if I get into one of those debates I’m going to tear Jeanne Shaheen to shreds, metaphorically,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 1
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
- George Will: In Georgia, a capitalist struggles - 2
- Jonah Goldberg -- Cure for gridlock: Take hard votes - 1
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 6
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 3
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters