All Sections

Home | Crime

As police probe one Manchester shooting, second man shot

Staff Report
June 12. 2014 10:34PM

Marsalis Johnson 

MANCHESTER — A city man was shot Wednesday night outside a Maple Street apartment building, just north of Amherst Street and not far from Manchester High School Central. It was the second shooting in three days in the city.

Police said Edwin Soto, 23, was shot just after 10 p.m. while he was in the rear parking lot of 461 Maple St., a three-story, 18-unit apartment building.

Three of Soto’s friends told police they found Soto wounded inside a first-floor apartment and took him to Elliot Hospital.

Police said he is expected to survive.

Officer Chris Biron, who went to the hospital after the shooting was reported, found Soto in the passenger seat of a dark-colored SUV parked in front of the emergency room entrance. He had suffered a gunshot wound to his torso.

Investigators said witnesses were unable to provide any information on the shooter.

About 6:50 p.m. on Sunday, Tyrell Mitchell, 22, of 235 Lowell St. was shot in the leg in a drive-by shooting near his residence, in the area of the N&N Express Convenience Store, across from Manchester High School Central.

Melissa Crane of East High Street told the New Hampshire Union Leader that she heard a loud argument, a “pop pop” and then a car leaving fast. She then saw a man on the street; someone came out and put a towel around his leg.

According to court documents, police are looking at Marsalis “Mook” Johnson, 22, of Nashua, as possibly being involved in that shooting.

Lt. Maureen Tessier said investigators have no information at this time to suggest the Lowell Street shooting was connected to the shooting of Soto.

Johnson was featured as the U.S. Marshals Fugitive of the Week and was arrested Wednesday for reckless conduct and being a felon in possession of a deadly weapon, charges stemming from an unrelated incident on May 29.

He is accused of firing a gun inside a 12 L English Village Road apartment, sending a bullet through a wall and into a neighbor’s bedroom. The bullet ricocheted off a dresser at the end of the bed and landed on the mattress. No one was injured.

At his arraignment Thursday, police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier requested $50,000 cash-only bail for Johnson, a convicted felon.

Johnson was convicted June 14, 2010, in Hillsborough Superior Court North on charges of first-degree assault and reckless conduct in connection with a shooting incident July 5, 2009, after a fireworks display at Arms Park. Johnson fired into a group of people with whom he and his friends had a dispute, resulting in two people being injured.

Johnson was convicted Nov. 7, 2013, in Hillsborough County Superior Court North of reckless conduct and felon in possession of a handgun in connection with a March 15, 2013, incident in which he fired a shotgun out a window at 215 Wilson St.

Johnson told Judge William Lyons that the proposed bail was unfair because he wouldn’t be able to raise that amount. Lyons made the bail $50,000 cash/surety, so Johnson can seek the services of a bail bondsman.

Because no plea can be entered to a felony in Circuit Court, a probable cause hearing was set for June 25 to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to bind the charge over to the Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for possible indictment.

Crime, law and justice Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Animal Control officer guilty in groping case