No charges expected against Northfield 'Egg Man' after rescue of horses
A volunteer at the Live and Let Live Farm in Chichester tends to a rescued stallion Friday. (Ryan O'Connor)
Northfield Police made the announcement Tuesday, while asking for the public’s help in caring for the horses, which had been living in alleged unhealthy conditions in a dilapidated barn on the 85 Zion Hill Road property of 90-year-old Bert Southwick, who delivered eggs to local residents by horse-drawn cart for 75 years, before recently retiring because of declining health.
The horses, which are in need of care, are also being monitored for potential internal parasites and respiratory issues. Two large hogs, including a pregnant sow, were also rescued and taken to another location.
The farm is a registered 501c3 organization operated by hundreds of volunteers, dozens of which helped with the Northfield rescue, and Paradis said the costs rise rapidly, especially when it comes to horse care.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 20
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 1
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
- Inventor excites Manchester fourth-graders with math, science possibilities - 0
- Nashua officals tour technical education center - 0
- City fourth-graders to meet entrepreneur Dean Kamen - 0
- No 3-day weekend for kids in Manchester school system - 5
- Quarrybrook Outdoor Learning Center in Windham a hit with schoolkids - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 1
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 6
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Monitoring social media - 1
- Apple opens in Manchester - 0
- NHIAA football: Bedford hangs on, outlasts Concord - 0
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy