Manchester panel backs firefighter's hiring
Jon Fosher of Manchester stands by a sculpture at Central Fire Station. He hopes to be hired by the Manchester Fire Department. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
But opponents say aldermen are violating the charter by making hiring decisions, and the city should be following standards. Current standards disqualify people with rods in their backs from being hired as firefighters.
Still, Fosher earned an associate’s degree in fire science. He received certifications for emergency medical technician and Firefighter II, and he passed firefighter physical agility tests.
Fire Chief James Burkush has twice offered Fosher the job, but the physician hired by the city won’t clear him.
A position opened up recently in the Manchester Fire Department with the retirement of District Fire Chief Ed O’Reilly, Burkush said. But he can’t say whether he will hire someone until a city budget is adopted.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley