Woman charged in Laconia accident that killed teen pleads guilty
LACONIA - A woman charged in a collision that killed a teenage girl and severely wounded another at a Laconia crosswalk in April 2013 is scheduled for sentencing next week after reaching a plea agreement with prosecutors.
Amy Lafond, 53, of 10 River St., pleaded guilty Thursday to charges of negligent homicide, second-degree assault, possession of a narcotic and illegal possession of a prescription drug, according to the Belknap Superior Court clerk's office.
In return for the guilty plea, the state dropped the more serious charge of manslaughter.
Sentencing is scheduled Thursday at 10 a.m. Lafond could face a sentence from 6½ to 14 years.
Lafond was driving a Jeep Cherokee on April 29, 2013, about 2:30 p.m. at Messer and Opechee streets, where Lilyanna "Lily" Johnson and Alyssa Miner, two 14-year-olds, were on the sidewalk shortly after leaving Laconia Middle School.
Both girls were hit by Lafond's vehicle after it drove onto the raised sidewalk.
Miner suffered injuries that included a bruised lung and lacerated spleen.
Johnson later died from her injuries. - Staff Report
Lakes Region » Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Club Briefs: DAR program to focus on Wentworth lineage - 0
- 911 in Pinardville? Say, 'Goffstown' - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Reprisal DAR's regent shares chapter's history - 0
- Nashua Habitat breaks ground for new home - 0
- Hunting seasons kick off Sept. 1 with black bears, gray squirrels - 0
- Relive magical moment with Simon and Garfunkel - 0
- Sights and sounds of Jakarta take over Somersworth streets - 0
- Creativity from garage workbenches to business innovations at Dover Mini Maker Faire - 0
- Longtime Barnstormers regular nabs costume design duties - 0
911 in Pinardville? Say, 'Goffstown'
Janine Gilbertson's Granite Kitchen: Homemade ketchup and a Havarti-heavy tomato sandwich get the kids' attention
On guns: Bernie is better
George Will: The havoc that Trump wreaks
Dover man charged with growing pot
Fremont police make major pot bust