Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing
It gives us stories with nice, tidy endings. Columbus discovers America. United States wins the war. The country elects Kennedy president.
No unknowns, like in science. There is no mysterious Higgs boson in Gen. John Stark’s decisive role in the Battle of Bennington, no missing link to the three-day battle of Gettysburg.
“It’s kind of sad, because to me that represents someone’s accomplishments,” Labbe said. “Somebody wore this with pride back in 1964.”
Feren didn’t get a ring, nor did her high school sweetheart, whom she ended up marrying. “Obviously, it wasn’t a big deal for the group we were in,” she said.
Labbe noted the ring doesn’t show a lot of wear. Perhaps it was in a jewelry box. Had it been quickly stolen and then tossed? If so, he found no other jewelry nearby.
But could it have slipped off his ring finger? No, it only fit on his pinky finger. Could it have slipped off that? No, it was tight even on the pinky, he said.
That’s why Labbe, who calls history his avocation, wants to find the owner. Feren estimates that 32 graduates have already died, another 50 can’t be found.
Mark Hayward’s City Matters runs Thursdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader and UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tough task for NH budget writers - 14
- A kinder, gentler House Speaker? - 19
- State's treasury chief will seek a full term from Legislature - 0
- GOP gives nod to Bill O'Brien's return as House speaker - 47
- Advocates want more money from liquor sales to treat addiction - 0
- GOP and Democrats each pick up a seat in recounts - 0
- Bedford’s Sanborn drops out of NH House Speaker race - 0
- Merrill replaces Flanders as NH Senate Chief of Staff - 0
- Gov. Hassan wants a 'thoughtful, careful' budget - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.