Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time for fixing Medicaid tax woes
The committee took longtime member Rep. Neal Kurk's suggestion and approved both amendments. The Weare Republican said that would give conference committee members more alternatives to work with when they begin negotiations.
No one believes a final solution is possible in the time left this session, but a short-term fix is almost a necessity or the next budget becomes even more difficult to balance, and the bond rating agencies are watching.
- - - - - - - - -
Social Media: There is no better example of the kinds of games that are played this time of year between the House and Senate than several bills dealing with social media accounts and what employers and educational institutions can or cannot require employees or students to do with their accounts.
The Senate took that provision out before approving HB 1200. The House took the Senate bill and added the restrictions for kindergarten to 12th grade.
Similar shenanigans occurred with bills dealing with what employers can require of employees and their social media accounts.
The House amended Senate Bill 283, which deals with funds obtained by the attorney general, to put 10 percent of settlements over $1 million in the state's general fund.
- - - - - - -
Sex Offenders: Election year politics may have gotten in the way of a little common sense.
Two courts have told Dover and Franklin that restricting where sex offenders can live is unconstitutional.
House Bill 1237 would have made it easier for communities to say "No" when pressure mounted for such ordinances. The bill would have prohibited local ordinances with sex offender restrictions.
This is not the first time the Senate has killed such a prohibition, but supporters believed this session was the best opportunity for passage in some time.
There is nothing like election-year politics.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Rainy day blues - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: State revenue picture still unclear until later this year - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Buffer zone ruling by U.S. Supreme Court fuels abortion feud - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Democrats and Republicans parties round out their next tickets in NH - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH legislative session winding to a close - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Saying goodbye - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: So many NH legislative bills get left at the roadside - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Medicaid tax debate may linger into summer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 8
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m