Spring brings skiers to Mount Washington
For a lot of die-hard downhillers, they're still clamped to their feet.
Throngs of spring skiing enthusiasts continue to head for the high country and the challenging runs in Mount Washington's Tuckerman Ravine.
Tuck's isn't for everyone. It's home to some of the most extreme skiing in the East, with pitches reaching 55 degrees. And you have to earn your turns. A run in the ravine can only be accomplished after hiking about 2 1/2 miles uphill, carrying skis and other supplies on your back (or dragging them up in a sled, as some folks prefer to do). And a day in the ravine is a day outdoors. There's no ski lodge to duck into, so visitors need to be prepared for changes in the weather with appropriate clothing. Nor is there food service up there, so food also needs to be carried in. A pump provides potable water, but be sure to start your hike with a full bottle or two. A minimum intake of two quarts of water per day is recommended.
More information is available at outdoors.org and mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track - 0
- Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman - 0
- More flights at Manchester airport - 0
- Platinum Selling Rockers TRAPT Set To Release 'The Acoustic Collection' Sept. 23rd - 0
- Eight environments to explore this Fall by foot - 0
- Friends of Stark Park in Manchester honored for preservation work - 0
- Londonderry police and firefighters rise to fundraising challenge - 0
- ‘When to call 911,’ a topic of Nashua Seniors Count workshop - 0
- Bedford scientist a laser pioneer - 0
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
More flights at Manchester airport
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman
Judge slams spice search
Market Basket: On the brink again
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?
'Chicken' arrested at Londonderry parade