Smoking ban starts in Manchester public housing
Larry Buck, left, and Lucien Breton enjoy a cigarette Wednesday outside the Pariseau high-rise in Manchester. (MARK HAYWARD/UNION LEADER)
The ban follows a year of preparation, housing authority Director Dick Dunfey said. Nowadays, smokers are more understanding of limitations placed on their habit, he said.
The ban applies to all apartments, hallways and common areas in the authority-owned apartments as well as the three tax-credit-financed developments the authority manages: the Mary Gale Home, the Brown School and the Laurette Sweeney Apartments off South Porter Street.
People cannot smoke within 25 feet of entrances, a restriction that is a sore spot for a couple of smokers outside the Pariseau high-rise Wednesday evening.
“The winters are really cold out here,” Buck said. “There’s a lot of old and disabled people in this building. ... We don’t have anywhere to go.”
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development recommended in 2012 that local authorities ban smoking in public housing. The Manchester authority board voted in April 2013 to ban smoking, effective today.
Dunfey said smokers who violate the ban will be given a warning. In general, tenants are evicted after the third lease violation.
“It’s bad. Too many people smoke in the hallway, inside their apartments, in the stairs,” Ricardo Ventura said.
It’s not only tobacco that gets burned, she said. She once got dizzy and fell down after breathing in smoke from a nearby apartment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House fails to override three Gov. Hassan vetoes - 0
- Governor to nominate three to the bench - 0
- State revenues slightly ahead for August - 0
- Hassan says NH's high workers' comp costs a burden - 0
- Executive Council approves railroad contract for Milford - 0
- Executive Council to consider raising dollar threshold for contracts - 0
- GOP to Hassan: What taxes would you raise? - 0
- NH Republicans push for 2014 fiscal budget figures - 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it