BRENTWOOD — Two Haverhill, Mass., men charged with a violent home invasion in Hampstead had been targeting houses in the area as a way to make money, and remain under investigation for other unsolved crimes, according to prosecutors.
Alex Menagerman, 24, and his alleged partner, Angel Sanchez, 32, are being held on charges of burglary, aggravated felonious sexual assault and criminal threatening in connection with the July 18, 2011 home invasion.
New details about the break-in have become available through filings by prosecutors in Rockingham County Superior Court, along with the revelation that Menagerman and Sanchez are suspects in other unsolved crimes.
“Additional violent crimes are being investigated in Manchester, NH where (they) are the prime suspects,” Assistant County Attorney Kirsten Wilson said in court papers.
Manchester Assistant Police Chief Nick Willard confirmed the two are suspects.
“The manner in which the home invasions were done is similar,” Willard said.
Prosecutors say that Menagerman and Sanchez physically and sexually assaulted people inside the home on Kent Farm Road in Hampstead before stealing 10 guns that were sold at a Lawrence, Mass., garage for $600 and cocaine.
Menagerman was indicted in February on 16 charges, including counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault for allegedly raping a woman at gunpoint inside the Hampstead home. Sanchez is facing nine charges.
Prosecutors recently obtained an arrest warrant for 28-year-old Aneudys Menendez, a material witness in the case who is being held at the Rockingham County jail.
Willard confirmed that the two men are suspects in a series of home invasions in Manchester around the same time as the Hampstead incident.
“The manner in which the home invasions were done is similar.,” Willard said, adding that the invasions were very violent and there are specific aspects of the invasions that are distinct.
While he is not prepared to say when there will be arrests or direct indictments, Willard said: “It is still a very active investigation.”
He said he is briefed every few weeks.
Menendez told investigators in October 2011 that he brokered a deal involving the stolen guns at a Lawrence, Mass., garage, and that Menagerman and Sanchez were working with Abraham Depaula, 24, of Haverhill, Mass., who is also expected to face charges in the case, according to court records.
“Aneudys knew that Sanchez and Menagerman and Depaula were hustling the streets and doing home invasions from direct statements from the defendants,” Wilson said in court papers. “Aneudys referred to them as ‘muscle’ and ‘good squad.’ Aneudys knew from the defendants they were doing these home invasions in order to make money.”
Aneudys also told investigators that, “he was using these guys for ‘hits’ on rival gangs and drug dealers.”
Defense lawyers have been protesting that prosecutors want to redact information regarding uncharged crimes mentioned in police reports and other evidence being handed over to them in advance of Menagerman and Sanchez heading to trial.
No trial dates have been set for Menagerman or Sanchez.
A fourth man convicted of taking part in the burglary, Avery Walker, 22, of Haverhill, Mass., is already serving a state prison term after pleading guilty in 2012 to felony charges of conspiracy to commit burglary and accomplice to burglary.
Union Leader Staff Writer Dale Vincent contributed to this report.