Peterborough contra dance to cap off ‘Mr. Mac’ remembrance
PETERBOROUGH — Bob “Mr. Mac” McQuillen will be memorialized with a service, reception and contra dance Saturday, May 3.
McQuillen, a National Heritage Fellow and a legend in the contra dance community who wrote more than 1,500 tunes, died Feb. 4 at 90.
A Marine Corps veteran of World War II and the Korean War, McQuillen taught industrial arts at Peterborough High School and then at ConVal High School for 34 years.
Family and friends will be coming from across the country to remember McQuillen with stories, music and dancing at Saturday’s event, which organizers have termed the “Kwackfest” after one of many McQuillenisms.
The memorial service will be held in the gym of ConVal High School in Peterborough at 2 p.m. A reception follows at Monadnock Country Club, High Street, Peterborough, from 4 to 8 p.m. The contra dance begins at 7 p.m. at the Peterborough Town House. During the dance, Bass Hall at the adjacent Monadnock Center for History and Culture will be open as a gathering place.
For more information, call 567-4430 or check the “Remembering Mac” page on Facebook.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.