Home » News » Public Safety
Heroin, other drug overdoses alarm community
Five people have died from drug overdoses in Derry since January, with four of the deaths blamed on heroin, police said.
Also since January, there were 16 drug overdoses in Derry, with 12 from heroin, Garone said.
In some cases, people who were prescribed a drug such as Oxycontin to treat pain become addicted. When they can no longer receive refills, they turn to the illegal market, Garone said. And when they can no longer afford to buy Oxycontin on the street, they end up trying heroin, which is far cheaper, Garone said.
"So, it's a relatively young population of men and women," Garone said. "It crosses all the lines."
Statewide there were 193 drug overdose deaths — with 70 from heroin — recorded in 2013, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
"Over the past three years, heroin deaths have been trending sharply upward," said Kim Fallon, chief forensic investigator with the Medical Examiner.
In 2012 in Rockingham County, there were 34 drug overdose deaths, with six from heroin, she said.
Councilor Joshua Bourdon said he heard Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin speak over the weekend on the heroin crisis there.
"They are the ones prescribing it," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket