Home » News » Public Safety
Heroin, other drug overdoses alarm community
Five people have died from drug overdoses in Derry since January, with four of the deaths blamed on heroin, police said.
Also since January, there were 16 drug overdoses in Derry, with 12 from heroin, Garone said.
In some cases, people who were prescribed a drug such as Oxycontin to treat pain become addicted. When they can no longer receive refills, they turn to the illegal market, Garone said. And when they can no longer afford to buy Oxycontin on the street, they end up trying heroin, which is far cheaper, Garone said.
"So, it's a relatively young population of men and women," Garone said. "It crosses all the lines."
Statewide there were 193 drug overdose deaths — with 70 from heroin — recorded in 2013, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
"Over the past three years, heroin deaths have been trending sharply upward," said Kim Fallon, chief forensic investigator with the Medical Examiner.
In 2012 in Rockingham County, there were 34 drug overdose deaths, with six from heroin, she said.
Councilor Joshua Bourdon said he heard Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin speak over the weekend on the heroin crisis there.
"They are the ones prescribing it," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 1
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.