Home » News » Public Safety
Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house
Firefighters survey the scene of a fire at a house at 2 Faith Lane, Manchester, Thursday afternoon. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
A tree that fell into a utility pole at Hazelton Avenue and Faith Lane started the series of events that resulted in the house at 2 Faith Lane catching fire, according to Tessier.
Offiicer Scott Ardita said the tree fell on the west side of Hazelton and struck utility wires on the east side of the roadway, snapping a utility pole near the top cross bars.
Electrical sparks fell to brush below, igniting a heavily overgrown area on the east side of Hazelton Avenue, just north of Faith Lane. The fire spread to the rear of the house at 2 Faith Lane, eventually engulfing the single family home and igniting a small grilling propane tank at the rear of the home.
The brush fire also burned along the property line at 342 Hazelton Ave., damaging a utility trailer and bob house stored there. That home was not damaged, and officers evacuated some of the surrounding homes as Manchester firefighters got the brush fire and house fire under control.
Hazelton Avenue, between Faith lane and Devonshire Road as of mid-afternoon is closed to traffic as PSNH repairs the damaged pole. Traffic on Old Brown Avenue is restricted. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternative routes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 0
- Winning $100,000 lottery ticket sold in Laconia - 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 6
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.