Riders can't convince Manchester Water Works of horse sense
From left, Vanessa Jeunehomme, a horse owner from Candia, Pat McDuffee of Candia, and Judy Lorimer, a member of the Hollis Area Equestrians, rally outside the Manchester Water Works office Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
The new regulations:
• Allow horses on gravel fire roads, as long as they wear some kind of diaper or waste-collection device.
• Prohibit horses in the water or on the shoreline, beaches, boat launches or public parks.
Water Works officials have said the restrictions are needed because the shallow lake, which is located next to an urban area, is fragile and environmentally vulnerable to nutrients found in animal waste.
Horse enthusiast Dorine Remillard, who was told to leave the room, distributed a memo that said horseback riders would be willing to establish a permit-fee system, pay for trail signs, keep parking areas clean and pick up or scatter droppings when safe to do so.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
- Derry fire chief is retiring - 0
- Aldermen not quite ready to endorse art plan - 0
- Citing transparency, Merrimack officials won't hold private meetings with pipeline developers - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'