Home » News » Politics » State Government
Bond rating agency hammers NH state credit rating
“The practical effect of the change in outlook is a potentially higher cost of capital at the time of the state’s next GO (general obligation) bond issue in December; however I believe that sufficient time will lapse between now and then so that the groundwork for a positive resolution will be in place,” Dwyer said in an email Tuesday.
“The negative outlook reflects our view of the state’s thin financial position and significantly underfunded pension funding levels, which we believe lowers its flexibility to withstand the potentially large effects of the loss of Medicaid Enhancement Tax (MET) revenue,” it said.
S&P also said the state pension fund was only 56.7 percent funded, “well below that of most other states, which we believe could result in additional pressure on future budgets.”
Republican State Committee Chairman Jennifer Horn said: “As governor, Maggie Hassan has blocked efforts to rebuild the rainy day fund and has opposed pension reform, putting the collective future of our state’s hard-working public servants at risk.”
“The Standard and Poor’s announcement reinforces the need for hospitals, providers, legislators and state officials to quickly work together to address the budget and health care challenges posed by the Medicaid Enhancement Tax ruling, a direct result of short-sighted action taken in the FY 12/13 budget,” Hassan said.
READER COMMENTS: 47
- Advocates want more money from liquor sales to treat addiction - 0
- GOP and Democrats each pick up a seat in recounts - 0
- Bedford’s Sanborn drops out of NH House Speaker race - 0
- Merrill replaces Flanders as NH Senate Chief of Staff - 0
- Gov. Hassan wants a 'thoughtful, careful' budget - 0
- House Dems pick Shurtleff as their leader - 0
- Ayotte, other NH GOP heavyweights urge support of Gene Chandler as Speaker - 10
- Governor withdraws pair of nominations to SEC - 0
- State's High Court refuses to hear NH Right to Life appeal - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH