Home » News » Politics » State Government
House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks
Senate Bill 244 would establish an annulment procedure that would allow those prohibited from owning firearms due to mental illness to be removed from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System — the list licensed gun dealers use for background checks.
"This bill is a mess," said committee member Rep. Paul Berch, D-Westmoreland. "This may be a lawyer's dream, but it's a citizen's nightmare."
However, New Hampshire is one of 17 states that do not report those found mentally ill by courts to the federal background check list.
The Senate refused to go along with the reporting requirements or establishing a committee to study the issue of adding the mentally ill to the federal prohibition list.
The main motivation for the bill is for people on the federal gun prohibition list to get off the list so they can obtain a firearm said Rep. Robert Rowe, R-Amherst. "This bill does not do the job," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House fails to override three Gov. Hassan vetoes - 0
- Governor to nominate three to the bench - 0
- State revenues slightly ahead for August - 0
- Hassan says NH's high workers' comp costs a burden - 0
- Executive Council approves railroad contract for Milford - 0
- Executive Council to consider raising dollar threshold for contracts - 0
- GOP to Hassan: What taxes would you raise? - 0
- NH Republicans push for 2014 fiscal budget figures - 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 11
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'