Home » News » Politics » State Government
House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks
Senate Bill 244 would establish an annulment procedure that would allow those prohibited from owning firearms due to mental illness to be removed from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System — the list licensed gun dealers use for background checks.
"This bill is a mess," said committee member Rep. Paul Berch, D-Westmoreland. "This may be a lawyer's dream, but it's a citizen's nightmare."
However, New Hampshire is one of 17 states that do not report those found mentally ill by courts to the federal background check list.
The Senate refused to go along with the reporting requirements or establishing a committee to study the issue of adding the mentally ill to the federal prohibition list.
The main motivation for the bill is for people on the federal gun prohibition list to get off the list so they can obtain a firearm said Rep. Robert Rowe, R-Amherst. "This bill does not do the job," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride