Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Ice near Six-Mile Island on Lake Winnipesaukee, just to the southeast of Center Harbor, taken by plane Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
The remaining ice on Meredith Bay in a photo taken by Dave Emerson of Emerson Aviation Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
Dave Emerson — of Emerson Aviation — the man who flies over the lake several times a day at this time of year to decide when Ice-out occurs, said there is some straggling ice that apparently doesn't want to give up on winter in Center Harbor.
Emerson declares Ice-out when he determines that the M.S. Mount Washington can make it to each of its five ports. The boat is docked in Center Harbor each winter.
The earliest ice-out recorded was in 2012 on March 23, narrowly beating out the previous record of March 24 from two years before. The latest it occurred was May 12, 1888.
"The call does not mean that the lake is entirely devoid of ice, nor does it mean that the Mount Washington actually does go to each of its ports. It simply means that it is believed that the ship could," Emerson said.
During a normal ice season, Emerson said, Center Harbor and Meredith Bay would be the first to lose ice.
Rain and wind that were in the forecast for Tuesday night were expected to wipe out the remaining ice sheets and chunks, Emerson said.
If ice-out occurs Wednesday, it will still be late compared to most years. But April 23 is one of the most common ice-out dates; it occurred on that day in 1891, 1896, 1897, 1912, 1977, 1994, 2007, and 2008.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes wtih Jim Beauregard: Mixing it up in the beer aisle - 0
- Homemade ice cream a delight for kids of any age in any era - 0
- Our Gourmet: Good food, good beer at Elm City - 0
- Isles of Shoals commemorated in weekend ceremony - 0
- Riding the indoor surfing wave - 0
- Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track - 0
- Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman - 0
- Platinum Selling Rockers TRAPT Set To Release 'The Acoustic Collection' Sept. 23rd - 0
- Eight environments to explore this Fall by foot - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Market Basket: On the brink again
Judge slams spice search
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?
'Chicken' arrested at Londonderry parade