Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Ice near Six-Mile Island on Lake Winnipesaukee, just to the southeast of Center Harbor, taken by plane Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
The remaining ice on Meredith Bay in a photo taken by Dave Emerson of Emerson Aviation Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
Dave Emerson — of Emerson Aviation — the man who flies over the lake several times a day at this time of year to decide when Ice-out occurs, said there is some straggling ice that apparently doesn't want to give up on winter in Center Harbor.
Emerson declares Ice-out when he determines that the M.S. Mount Washington can make it to each of its five ports. The boat is docked in Center Harbor each winter.
The earliest ice-out recorded was in 2012 on March 23, narrowly beating out the previous record of March 24 from two years before. The latest it occurred was May 12, 1888.
"The call does not mean that the lake is entirely devoid of ice, nor does it mean that the Mount Washington actually does go to each of its ports. It simply means that it is believed that the ship could," Emerson said.
During a normal ice season, Emerson said, Center Harbor and Meredith Bay would be the first to lose ice.
Rain and wind that were in the forecast for Tuesday night were expected to wipe out the remaining ice sheets and chunks, Emerson said.
If ice-out occurs Wednesday, it will still be late compared to most years. But April 23 is one of the most common ice-out dates; it occurred on that day in 1891, 1896, 1897, 1912, 1977, 1994, 2007, and 2008.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Explaining a red blue jay spotted in New Hampshire - 0
- Mac & Cheese 10 Country Flavor Tour: America's Favorite Comfort Food Goes Global - 0
- Blizzard was last challenge for retiring Derry fire chief - 0
- Blizzard couldn't bury this year's Pond Hockey Classic - 0
- Slopeside: Proper ski boots should fit like a glove and make all the difference - 0
- NH moose hunt lottery is open - 0
- Stars of professional, community theater to be spotlighted - 0
- Bromberg, Hidalgo headlining at Plymouth venue - 0
- Have an appetite for family theater? Try 'Life on a Plate' - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
NH moose hunt lottery is open
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
Enter to win tickets to see Nickelback
Bedford reprimands students for tweets critical of superintendent for not cancelling school Wednesday
Editorial: Scared of snow: Has NH gone soft?
Romney opts out of run for presidency
Guinta talks bipartisanship, new bill to spare taxpayer cost of redundant government legislation