Home » News » Business » Legacy Awards
Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Ice near Six-Mile Island on Lake Winnipesaukee, just to the southeast of Center Harbor, taken by plane Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
The remaining ice on Meredith Bay in a photo taken by Dave Emerson of Emerson Aviation Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
Dave Emerson — of Emerson Aviation — the man who flies over the lake several times a day at this time of year to decide when Ice-out occurs, said there is some straggling ice that apparently doesn't want to give up on winter in Center Harbor.
Emerson declares Ice-out when he determines that the M.S. Mount Washington can make it to each of its five ports. The boat is docked in Center Harbor each winter.
The earliest ice-out recorded was in 2012 on March 23, narrowly beating out the previous record of March 24 from two years before. The latest it occurred was May 12, 1888.
"The call does not mean that the lake is entirely devoid of ice, nor does it mean that the Mount Washington actually does go to each of its ports. It simply means that it is believed that the ship could," Emerson said.
During a normal ice season, Emerson said, Center Harbor and Meredith Bay would be the first to lose ice.
Rain and wind that were in the forecast for Tuesday night were expected to wipe out the remaining ice sheets and chunks, Emerson said.
If ice-out occurs Wednesday, it will still be late compared to most years. But April 23 is one of the most common ice-out dates; it occurred on that day in 1891, 1896, 1897, 1912, 1977, 1994, 2007, and 2008.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Whitesnake return with the Purple Album - 0
- Loeb School announces Spring classes - 0
- Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators announce additional dates for U.S. Tour including Hampton - 0
- Discover WILD New Hampshire Day Set - 0
- Ryan Cabrera is coming to Manchester April 2 - 0
- New England Disabled Sports and Loon Mountain Resort to Host 2015 US Paralympic Alpine Championships - 0
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Last Week's Rare Bird Alert
Harrigan closes up camp
Senators call for reward in ISIS killings
When the snow melts, a draining concern
Steve Ahnen and Henry Lipman: Medicaid expansion is unquestionably helping Granite Staters