Ice-out declared on Forest Lake
As attested to by this clock, ice out occurred on Forest Lake in Whitefield at 7:47 p.m., April 18. The Whitefield Lions Club has sponsored an “Ice Out” contest on Forest Lake for three years . (Courtesy Whitefield Lions Club)
Inspired by a similar contest at nearby Joe's Pond in Vermont, the club in 2012 began its own ice out competition on Forest Lake, which lies in the towns of Dalton and Whitefield. Each year the event has grown, said member Don Discenzo, on Tuesday.
Discenzo thanked the participants and said the Lake Forest ice out contest would be back next winter. He said the money raised will support Lions Club programs in and around Whitefield.
Forest Lake is considerably smaller than Lake Winnipesaukee, which has had its own ice out competition for considerably longer. That call is expected today.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outdoors with the AMC: Making the most of winter with snowshoes - 0
- Colebrook bocce tourney a cool time - 0
- Vintage snowmobiles chew up the cold in popular annual race - 0
- There's nothing like a wood fire - 0
- NH Outstanding Teen pageant Feb. 14-15 - 0
- Forest Journal: Be on the lookout for falling squirrels - 0
- Down to Earth - Budget Vogue: Collections of (someone's) precious memories - 0
- Win tickets to see LIly Tomlin - 0
- Win tickets to see the Very Best of Celtic Thunder - 0
There's nothing like a wood fire
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
NH Outstanding Teen pageant Feb. 14-15
Romney opts out of run for presidency
$1 billion hit seen for electric ratepayers
Guinta talks bipartisanship, new bill to spare taxpayer cost of redundant government legislation
Hockey fans angry, sad to see Monarchs go