Shaheen touts land conservation fund
The LWCF Act, which began in 1965, regulates the use of admission and recreation user fees to purchase and conserve land and water throughout the nation.
Donald Shumway, president of Crotched Mountain Foundation, said the LCWF provided the mechanism to help create the largest handicapped accessible trail for the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center in Greenfield
Jay Steeve, of Timberland, said the LWCF is important since it's apolitical, allowing access to resources, protecting wildlife habitats and even offering recreational opportunities, like soccer fields.
Rodger Krussman, state director for the Trust for Public Land, said the LWCF helps protect tracts of land and encourages communities and organizations to help conserve properties, which has been especially successful in New Hampshire.
Eric Orff, certified wildlife biologist, said the only way to ensure continued sustainability of natural resources is to ensure the love for the outdoors is passed down.
Brensinger suggested offering more access to nature, such as creating hiking trails and expanding access along the Cocheco River in the downtown.
Shaheen said she hopes to reach out gain more support, especially in the lumber and forestry industries. She said these businesses are another "whole aspect" of the coalition of groups that can agree on sustaining the resources for all.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Becky Rule to tell tales at the Corner House Inn - 0
- Pianist Sergei Novikov talks about heart of performance - 0
- Kimberly Anderson Ritchie, Rock Tripe Lichen, Installation: silkscreen and monoprint on maps - 0
- Comedienne Paula Poundstone Brings Laughter to Plymouth - 0
- Rockingham Community Action brightening holidays for needy - 0
- Good news for residents near former wastewater plant - 0
- Windham club brings Christmas cheer to vets - 0
- Candlelight memorial in Keene for the homeless - 0
- Keene shelter joins in homeless vigil on Sunday - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Police arrest pair after bullets fly