Shaheen touts land conservation fund
The LWCF Act, which began in 1965, regulates the use of admission and recreation user fees to purchase and conserve land and water throughout the nation.
Donald Shumway, president of Crotched Mountain Foundation, said the LCWF provided the mechanism to help create the largest handicapped accessible trail for the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center in Greenfield
Jay Steeve, of Timberland, said the LWCF is important since it's apolitical, allowing access to resources, protecting wildlife habitats and even offering recreational opportunities, like soccer fields.
Rodger Krussman, state director for the Trust for Public Land, said the LWCF helps protect tracts of land and encourages communities and organizations to help conserve properties, which has been especially successful in New Hampshire.
Eric Orff, certified wildlife biologist, said the only way to ensure continued sustainability of natural resources is to ensure the love for the outdoors is passed down.
Brensinger suggested offering more access to nature, such as creating hiking trails and expanding access along the Cocheco River in the downtown.
Shaheen said she hopes to reach out gain more support, especially in the lumber and forestry industries. She said these businesses are another "whole aspect" of the coalition of groups that can agree on sustaining the resources for all.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
- Former mini-golf course to transform into botanical gardens - 0
- Flash mob stands as one in Manchester for campaign to end childhood homelessness - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Danbury Grange plans fair, 'Living Sustainably' session - 0
- Gov. Hassan signs ATV bills, opens new North Country connector trail - 0
- The band Live return this October with new album, 'The Turn' - 0
- 2014 marks the 20th year of AmeriCorps programs - 0
- Billy Idol will release 'Kings & Queens of the Underground' on October 21 - 0
- Exhibit serves as 'Witness' to Civil Rights Movement - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you