Shaheen touts land conservation fund
The LWCF Act, which began in 1965, regulates the use of admission and recreation user fees to purchase and conserve land and water throughout the nation.
Donald Shumway, president of Crotched Mountain Foundation, said the LCWF provided the mechanism to help create the largest handicapped accessible trail for the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center in Greenfield
Jay Steeve, of Timberland, said the LWCF is important since it's apolitical, allowing access to resources, protecting wildlife habitats and even offering recreational opportunities, like soccer fields.
Rodger Krussman, state director for the Trust for Public Land, said the LWCF helps protect tracts of land and encourages communities and organizations to help conserve properties, which has been especially successful in New Hampshire.
Eric Orff, certified wildlife biologist, said the only way to ensure continued sustainability of natural resources is to ensure the love for the outdoors is passed down.
Brensinger suggested offering more access to nature, such as creating hiking trails and expanding access along the Cocheco River in the downtown.
Shaheen said she hopes to reach out gain more support, especially in the lumber and forestry industries. She said these businesses are another "whole aspect" of the coalition of groups that can agree on sustaining the resources for all.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ski resorts to be open well past usual closing time - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Stratham Historical Society offers annual appraisal day - 0
- Poetry reading at PSU Thursday night - 0
- Kids encouraged to brainstorm with Legos at SEE Science Center - 0
- Check in with ‘Three Hotels’ to see what happens when greed takes up residence - 0
- Boz Scaggs, Lynyrd Skynyrd headed to NH this summer - 0
- Dutch theater collective returns to NH to humanize ‘Great War’ - 0
- Silhouettes, animation, music convey history of Earth - 0
- Eggs-citing events planned across Granite State - 0
Report: NH plant species at risk
Super Bowl champ makes Manchester appearance
Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing
Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't
Ham radio class being offered
Thomas Sowell: Who would trust Iran?
Bedford mom never complained to friend
Taxing tobacco: Hassan's bad proposal