Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
Pope Francis holds a candle as he leads a vigil Mass during Easter celebrations at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican on Saturday. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi
Marking the second Easter season of his pontificate, the Argentine Pope said a solemn Mass before some 10,000 people in St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in Christendom.
The faithful held lit candles as the Pope walked up the main aisle, and then the basilica's lights were turned on in a blaze.
"Do I remember it? Have I forgotten it? Have I gone off on roads and paths that made me forget it?" he asked.
Francis will say an Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square and deliver his twice-yearly "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) blessing and message.
A week later, on Sunday April 27, he will canonize Pope John Paul II, who reigned from 1978 to 2005, and Pope John XXIII, who was pontiff from 1958 to 1963 and called the Second Vatican Council, a landmark meeting that modernized the Church.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 6
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 1
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help