Officer says video of snowmobilers' moose meeting shows what not to do
This image taken from video shows a moose charging Bob Powell of Belmont. (Janis Powell via wcsh6.com)
Janis and Bob Powell of Belmont on Friday posted a two-minute YouTube video of the scary incident, which happened while they were riding snowmobiles in Jackman, Maine. By early Saturday evening, the video had gotten more than 5,200 views.
Watch the video for yourself:
Juneau said encountering moose on snowmobile trails in wilderness areas is common. But he said riders need to respect the size and speed of these animals and keep their distance.
Juneau said the riders were lucky to have escaped unharmed; there were no trees nearby that could have served as barriers to a charging moose.
"These animals, they look large, they look clumsy, but they are amazingly fast," he said. "And those legs are extremely heavy and extremely powerful. It wouldn't take much of a blow to really cause injury to a human."
"It had come out onto the trail, and we followed it a ways expecting it to get off the trail any time, which normally happens when we come across them."
"What happens is that they stop and look at us, so we go, then they go, and it repeats, sometimes for miles on end," they wrote. "Believe me, we'll be keeping much more distance in the future."
If a rider becomes aware of an animal on a trail, Juneau said, "try and slowly retreat, possibly raising your arms in the air to make yourself appear bigger. Just try to seek cover and remove yourself."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three old beer styles for cold winter nights - 0
- Italian with a twist in Portsmouth - 0
- Goffstown School Board abandons plans to buy, renovate Villa Augustina - 0
- Hooksett police seek drug forfeiture funds to purchase new guns - 0
- Salem impact fee process to go before public hearing - 0
- Salvation Army takes over for Santa in Nashua - 0
- Town and state officials celebrate opening of non-motorized trail system in Warren - 0
- Lurgio students learn about Africa, water scarcity through unique approach - 0
- A Chat with Elsie: Windham principal recognized for excellence - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Three old beer styles for cold winter nights
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly