Home » News » Public Safety
Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving
Students at Merrimack High School participate in a mock car crash to warn fellow classmates about the dangers of drinking and driving. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON/Union Leader Correspondent)
Although the scene involved student actors, the raw and emotional message was real for the senior class that watched in horror as four classmates played out a life lesson that administrators hope will stay with all the students forever.
"I never want to have my mom go through that," said Courtney Hayden. "It gives you the chills. Really, it does, because you don't think something like that can't happen to you."
Zampieri, whose daughter is learning how to drive, said he fears people on the highways who may be distracted or intoxicated.
He said it is important to encourage young people to think about their actions, remind them that they are not invincible and hope that they make the right choices when it matters.
Following the mock crash, students were ushered into the gymnasium where a ersatz memorial service was held for Freed. A eulogy was given and students watched a video highlighting Freed's short life.
In a split second, someone's life can be lost, said Dudash, urging the Class of 2014 to think twice about drinking and driving so that their parents won't get a knock on the door from police with the worst news.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads